The Utah Symphony | Utah Opera Education Department creates and oversees music outreach opportunities for audiences of all ages.
For students and teachers, we offer both opera and symphony assembly programs, with associated in-depth extensions of the performances. We regularly present students as soloists and in choirs with the symphony, and we sponsor original opera projects with participating classes, projects that culminate in our annual Children's Opera Showcase. We also offer teacher workshops and performance attendance opportunities with education extensions for teachers and students.
For families, we offer two symphony concert series in addition to the Children's Opera Showcase: three Lollipops concerts for families with young children, and three Discovery Concerts, for those of older elementary and junior high school age.
For adult life-long learners, Utah Symphony|Utah Opera offers pre-performance lectures before every classical symphony and opera performance. Our annual mini-festival and summer Deer Valley Music Festival also involve special learning events and activities for adults.
Mission Statement We invite people of all ages to explore and share the emotion and expressiveness of symphony and opera—its music, drama, dance and visual arts and symphonic music. We do this by:
- Expanding community knowledge of and support for symphony and opera
- Cultivating a new generation of symphony and opera lovers and subscribers, in intimate, powerful ways
- Reaching a wide variety of audiences (including via the internet)
- Supporting teachers & providing resources for them to become superior teachers
- Spreading an awareness of the benefits arising from music education.