30 Oct 2015
- Great minds often meet throughout history; that was the case in 1910 when Mahler’s marriage was in a crisis and he had a session with the great Sigmund Freud.
- Great artists are never satisfied, and the same can be said for their audiences. The original version of “Titan” titled “A Symphonic Poem in Two Sections” was poorly received at first. It took 3 years for it to be performed again and numerous revisions until audiences appreciated it.
- Perfection is often the key to destruction, and Mahler was no exception. Known for being such a perfectionist even to the most microscopic detail, he achieved amazing professional results, but also made numerous enemies because of this trait.
- During the happiest time of Mahler’s life he composed Symphony No. 6, referred to as Tragische (Tragic) whose nihilistic, abrupt, ending was a shock to audiences.
- There is this great fascination with working with some of the greats throughout history. However, working with Mahler is better left to the imagination; his bursts of anger and authoritarian attitude made him unbelievably difficult to work with.
- Mahler’s Symphony No. 5 has been described as a hero’s epic journey; its unhinged, almost overwhelming orchestra on the piece holds all the key elements to a classical hero’s journey. Picture Odysseus: his beginning, his journey, and his destination. Mahler’s Symphony No. 5 would be the soundtrack to such a journey.
In November, the Utah Symphony will be performing Mahler’s Symphony No. 5 and his “Tragic” Symphony. For more information and tickets, please go here and here.
And did you know that the solo percussionist, Colin Currie, will be joining the Utah Symphony for Mahler’s Symphony No. 5? Check out our TRIO series to learn more about him!
Star Wars: The Force Awakens in Concert
Jun 23 - 24 | Abravanel Hall
Jun 30 | Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheater
Spanish Nights with Pablo Sáinz-Villegas
Jul 01 | Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheater
Mozart’s Symphony No. 39
Jul 05 | St. Mary's Catholic Church
Disney Princess: The Concert
Jul 07 | Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheater
Broadway & Soul: Joshua Henry
Jul 08 | Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheater
Beethoven’s Symphony No. 2
Jul 12 | St. Mary's Catholic Church
The Beach Boys
Jul 14 - 15 | Snow Park Outdoor Amphitheater
Schubert's Symphony No. 5
Jul 19 | St. Mary's Catholic Church