MUSIC EDUCATION OFFERINGS FOR STUDENTS
Providing opportunities for students in our community to learn about classical music is an important part of the Utah Symphony’s mission. We offer a variety of opportunities for individual students and classes to experience the Utah Symphony.
Salute to YouthMASTERCLASSESHIGH SCHOOL MUSIC CLUBSOther Resources
SALUTE TO YOUTH
Entering its 63rd year, the Salute to Youth concerto concert is a long-standing Utah Symphony tradition in which Utah’s young musicians in piano, strings, winds, brass, percussion, harp, voice, and small ensemble compete for the opportunity to perform as a soloist with the Utah Symphony. This concerto competition is committed to supporting, fostering, and recognizing extraordinary young musicians in the state of Utah. Auditions are adjudicated by the Symphony’s distinguished panel who look for exceptional technique and musicality. The final competition takes place in September with preliminary auditions in July. Up to three winners from each age division will solo with the Utah Symphony on Wednesday, November 22, 2023.
SOLO AND ENSEMBLE APPLICATIONS
We are thrilled to announce that we are now accepting applications and invite Utah youth to participate. Eligible applicants must be:
- A Utah resident and have a valid Utah mailing address. (Residency is defined as having lived in Utah for a continuous 12 months prior to submission of the application, and/or being claimed as a dependent for tax purposes by a Utah resident).
- Within the following age divisions associated with your instrument. (Age as of September 1, 2023)
- Now-June 5, 2023 – Ensemble repertoire requests sent to Jessica Wiley at [email protected]
- July 1, 2023 – Applications and Fees are completed and payed; need-based scholarships available
- July 15, 2023 – Submit your preliminary audition recordings
- August 14, 2023 – Results of preliminary auditions emailed
- September 11, 2023 – Final audition rounds
- November 22, 2023 – Salute to Youth Concert with Utah Symphony
Please carefully read the rules and check your repertoire before submitting an application.
Be sure to whitelist [email protected] and check your “spam” or “junk mail” folders periodically for any emails regarding the application process for Salute to Youth.
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera hosts masterclasses with visiting guest artists. The public is welcome to audit these classes.
HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC CLUBS
Enjoy great performances at a special low price by organizing a music club in collaboration with Utah Symphony | Utah Opera! There are TWO types of High School Club packages available, so gather your friends and classmates to explore the symphony and opera performances you’d like to attend.
CHOOSE YOUR PACKAGE:
Symphony Club: attend five (5) US|UO performances
- Select four (4) Utah Symphony concerts and one (1) Opera-Tunities dress rehearsal.
- Public and Charter Schools: $20 per student ($5/symphony; opera is FREE)
- Private and Home Schools: $25 per student ($5/symphony; $5/opera)
Opera Club: attend all four (4) final “Opera-tunity” dress rehearsals
- Public and Charter Schools: all student tickets are FREE
- Private and Home Schools: $20 per student ($5/opera)
Teachers and non-teacher adults are invited to accompany students as chaperones ($5/Opera, $20/Symphony), but students may order tickets and attend on their own. SIGN UP today to register your music club and secure your seats!
Special Offer: Consider scheduling a tour of one of our buildings, or inviting a musician or staff member to speak to your group. Additional interests can be selected on STEP 5 of the online ticket request form.