18 Nov 2015
Handel's Messiah Factoids
- George Frideric Handel was a superstar among composers of his time and composers of the future. Bach unsuccessfully tried to meet with Handel, but as fate would have it the two never met. What could have come from their meeting leads to speculation and desire to see two greats work together.
- The women attending the first production of Handel’s Messiah on April 13, 1742 pleaded to wear dresses with no hoops in order to accommodate more patrons.
- The first performance of Handel’s Messiah on April 13, 1742, brought with it an attraction other than Handel’s esteemed name and familiar importance. It also premiered Susannah Cibber, a contralto who was involved with a scandalous divorce.
- Mozart would be quoted as saying the following about Handel: “Handel understands effect better than any of us…when he chooses, he strikes like a thunderbolt.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- In popular culture Handel’s Messiah is unmatched in its use. Nickelodeon’s popular satirical cartoon Ren & Stimpy heavily used Handel’s Messiah. The use of Handel’s Messiah is typically seen during a euphoric moment right before a devastating and unsettling moment of destruction.
- Genius is often closely associated with absolutely uncontrollable emotional tirades. Colleagues and close friends all described his anger and insane outbursts, often assumed to be associated with his obsession with perfection and form.
- Handel once had a duel over seating. A rather simple argument over a seating arrangement in the orchestra pit led to a near fatal duel with fellow composer Johann Mattheson. Mattheson’s sword was thwarted by a metal button on Handel’s coat. Afterwards the two settled their differences and remained friends for years.
It’s time to kick off your holiday season with the Messiah Sing-In! The Utah Symphony Orchestra will be performing at Abravanel Hall on November 28. For more information and tickets, visit this page.
Rachmaninoff’s Symphony No. 2
Oct 20 - 21 | Abravanel Hall
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows™ Part 2 in Concert
Oct 26 - 28 | Abravanel Hall
Nov 03 - 04 | Abravanel Hall
Nov 10 - 11 | Abravanel Hall
Nov 25 - 26 | Abravanel Hall
Dec 11 | Abravanel Hall
Here Comes Santa Claus!
Dec 16 - 16 | Abravanel Hall
Love Actually in Concert
Dec 19 | Abravanel Hall
Disney’s Frozen™ in Concert
Dec 21 - 23 | Abravanel Hall