UTAH SYMPHONY Youth Guild
Meet our Utah Symphony musicians, learn from our world-renowned guest artists, perform in the lobby of Abravanel Hall, and do so much more by joining the Utah Symphony Youth Guild!
The Utah Symphony Youth Guild is dedicated to providing students with opportunities for greater involvement with the arts through volunteer service and educational activities. Membership is open to families with children ages 8-18. While the Youth Guild encourages everyone to reap the many benefits of learning to play an instrument, membership is open to musicians and non-musicians alike.
Your Youth Guild Membership provides you and your family Education and Service opportunities (listed below) as well as access to our fantastic ticket voucher program where children can attend 4 concerts for just $24, and parents can attend 4 concerts for just $48. After joining the Youth Guild, you will receive monthly newsletters announcing upcoming Education and Service opportunities.
- Backstage seminars (a tour + meet & greet with Utah Symphony Musicians)
- Masterclasses provided by world-renowned guest artists
- Pre-concert lectures given by feature conductors, artists, and distinguished members of our community
- Open rehearsals (sitting in on a rehearsal prior to opening night)
- Annual Youth Guild Recital (competitive audition process)
- Writing an article for our monthly newsletter, blog, or your school newspaper
- Family Night Volunteers (monitoring Kids Club table in the lobby prior to some performances)
- Random Acts of Music (informal performances in public spaces)
- Coat Check (in the lobby of Abravanel Hall before, during, and after Symphony concerts)
- Ushering (for Symphony Concerts)
- Assisting with Family Music Fair (pre-family-concert activities in the Lobby of Abravanel Hall)
- Lobbyfest Performances (30 minute pre-concert performances in the Lobby of Abravanel Hall)
YOUTH GUILD VOUCHER PROGRAM
- Vouchers are an additional cost to the Youth Guild Membership
- Vouchers are distributed in a set of four, and are clearly marked “Voucher 1 Voucher 2, Voucher 3, and Voucher 4.”
- Each voucher corresponds to four different Symphony and Opera concerts. You may pick one of these concerts in redeeming your voucher.
- Each set of vouchers is valid for one person (adult or child).
- Each set of vouchers per child (age 8-18) is $24. Each set of vouchers per adult (age 19+) is $48.
- Only Youth Guild children, their parents, or their grandparents have the option of buying ticket vouchers.
- Vouchers must be redeemed at least 24 hours in advance in person at the ticket office in Abravanel Hall or via phone.
ANNUAL YOUTH GUILD RECITAL
The annual Youth Guild Recital is a fantastic way to showcase our members’ incredible talents, and as an added bonus there are cash prizes for the performers selected! Please remember that in order to be eligible for the auditions, you must have completed or have scheduled your two service and two education credits by the application deadline.
Be sure to thoroughly read all of the application rules and guidelines before completing the application.
Important dates to remember:
February 8: Applications due by 5 pm
February 15: Audition times emailed
March 1: Audition day for pianos
March 2: Audition day for strings, winds, brass, percussion, voice, ensemble
Recital Date: March 16, 2019 at pm at Westminster College
A real-world performance opportunity—and a lovely start to your musical evening—Youth Guild members play in the lobby of Abravanel Hall from 6:40-7:10 pm (or from 4:40-5:10 on early concert dates) before Symphony Masterworks concerts.
Sept. 21: Benson Marshall, Cello (6:40 pm)
Sept. 22: Baker Family (Sarah–cello, Laura–violin, Hannah–piano and Matthew–guitar) (6:40 pm)
Sept. 28: Nathan Blanchard–cello (6:40 pm)
Sept. 29: Sarah Sun–piano (6:40 pm)
Oct 26: Meiwes Family (Dora-piano, Evelyn-violin)
Oct 27: John Zhao-piano *early concert*
Nov 9: Meghan Tandar-piano
Nov 10: Zoe Schramm-clarinet *early concert*
Nov 16: Siena Rosborough-cello
Nov 17: Lillian Hatch-flute
*Single individuals who do not have children are not eligible for Youth Guild Membership. Any applications received that do not indicate valid information for both the parent and child will be rejected.*